Labels

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

not until your last day!

Come-on Raghav, tell me who she is!
Who?
The chick you’re going around with these days...
She’s not a chick!
“Oh... sorry! So, finally you broke your resolution of not falling in love ever again. And that’s good news, which calls for a party! Doesn’t it?” Pallav said with a friendly smile.
Not really!
Why? I mean, you have a decent job, you’re well over thirty, and she’s pretty...and...
“And I’ve made a new resolution!” Raghav intercepted him in the middle.
What?
“Never marry! This is my new resolution! It is one that I shall never change, however.”
What? Achha...so Mr. lover boy is now turning into a stud?
Think what you will, I don’t really care! he casually replied getting-up from his seat, and set out for home. He knew his colleagues were gossiping about her at the office, but he just didn’t want to talk about it.
II.
“Here, look what I’ve brought!” he said smilingly, handing a bouquet of red roses to her. Her lips reciprocated the smile, but not her eyes. Those were the two dark windows through which he could see the gloom within her; a darkness which no light could dispel.
Hey cheer-up baby! It’s Valentine ’s Day! He said.
“Why are you doing all this?” She asked
What?, He said, somewhat surprised.
I’ve thought it over Raghav, and I’ve decided to leave. I must find my place somewhere else.
Why...you know what you’ve come to mean to me and yet you say...you know I can’t afford to lose you, not this time...and still, I wouldn’t stop you if that is what you wish. But first look into my eyes and say you want to leave.
“It’s not a question of my wish; I can’t let the shadow of my wretched existence fall over your beautiful life” she said in a heavy voice turning her eyes away from him.
“I need not tell you that my life was never so beautiful as it has become after your coming into it. Tell me exactly what has happened?” Raghav enquired.
I received calls today. I don’t know how they got the landline number. Sooner or later they’ll disclose my identity, and then...Look, my days are already numbered Raghu. But you have your whole life ahead. How will you face the world when it comes to know my past identity?
Which world Pragya? The same world which caused your father to commit suicide because the monsoons failed, and he couldn’t pay his loans? The same world which sold you like a piece of meat to those wolves? The same world which gave you HIV ? No Pragya, that world isn’t worth caring about. I have my own world where only you and I live. And it says you’re incredibly beautiful and loveable. You’re not going anywhere, not until your last day!

No comments: